Thursday, March 1, 2012

Simply stated #'s 13 - 16

I love the age of 4- it's an awesome time to get HILARIOUS quotes from your kids.  Do read the following statements from my son Joseph in your best I-know-everything 4 year old voice- it'll add to the overall effect.



I spent the afternoon making an awesome French Onion soup for a lunch for my friends the next day.  Of course, I doubled up so we could have some for dinner too. The whole house- especially the closets- why is that?- reeked of onions.  When Joe decided to find out what was for dinner, he climbed up on the counter, peeked in the pot and said, "I just knew it would be yucky!"

The next day I was preparing for the previously mentioned lunch and enlisted the help of my reluctant boy by telling him we were having a party so all the toys needed to be picked up.  I was amazed when he actually started moving things from one side of the room to the other!  Luckily my bribe was completely truthful because kids were invited so it really was a party (and the toys had to be picked up again after it was over..honestly why do I bother?).  Before people arrived, we went over a few important rules: No playing upstairs (the main floor and basement are enough to clean).  No riding the carts- which are supposed to hold toys- down the indoor slide. No jumping on the trampoline with anyone smaller than you.  I think those are pretty reasonable.

Even with all my precautions, he was so excited for friends so he pulled out the portable stereo and his rockin Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Greatest Hits CD. Then he told me, "Ok Mom.  There are two rules for this party. (As he's counting them out on his hands.)  Number One: No going potty in your pants.  Number Two: There has to be music. How many was that?"  Me: Two. Joe: "Oh yeah two. Only two rules, so it's fun."

I told him I'd do my best to remember to go the bathroom and not wait too long.  And as for the music, I wasn't sure everyone would appreciate the Goofy version of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" while we ate and chatted. Then again, we ladies never seem to have a problem talking over the ten kids running around so what's one more animated character ballad added to the madness?

Another day he was over at a friend's house until dinner time. The Dad loves food and made flat bread and the Mom made curry. She asked if Joe wanted to stay and try some. He said, "No thanks! I only eat steak, french fries, fruit and toast."  And that's totally true!  Except he will eat Cheerios and Marshmallow Maties..I think that pretty much covers the major food groups!

He's definitely a picky eater; the total opposite of Emma who gets more excited about an entire head of broccoli than her giant bag of Valentine's candy. Seriously, the girl will eat all the broccoli by herself. And she'll try anything.  I made this super yummy noodle stir fry but accidentally put in chili-garlic sauce instead of sweet chili sauce so it was UBER-spicy- I mean drink six glasses of water, lips on fire, go thru 5 tissues- spicy!  She still ate it, with lots of "whoo's" and "haa's" thrown in. Love that about her.

Okay one more funny quote- in case you lost count.  Joseph has been sick for the last two weeks. One of those nasty coughs that NEVER GOES AWAY.  After 14 days of no school, no friends and pretty much not going anywhere, I called the Doctor and got the okay to bring him out in public again.  I sent him to school but spent 5 minutes going over proper "cover your mouth when you cough" protocol before I let him out of the car.

When I came to pick him up, he happily jumped in the car and said, "Mom!  I didn't cough on anybody at school today!  I coughed on the toys; I coughed on the table; I coughed on sink; I coughed on my snack, but I didn't cough on anybody!  Isn't that great?"

I guess that confirms that cough medicine really is just fruit-flavored syrup nowadays. At least he mostly listened to my lecturing. I should've stuck a "the doctor said he's no longer contagious" sign on his back so the other Moms don't give me evil stares in the pickup lane. So you're the Mom who sends her kid sick to school.  Hmmm.

I love the age of 4!

No comments: