Recently, she has extended her talent to others through the foundation, "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" (http://www.nilmdts.org/). It's an organization of volunteer photographers that take pictures of new babies just before or right after they pass away. Jen has found part of her life's mission in her work through this organization. Her work and her story is featured this week in Newsweek magazine (www.newsweek.com/id/182572).
Before you read the story, you must know some of the most recent developments in Jen's life. She just lost a baby over the Christmas holiday. Her son, Connor, had Trisomy 18 and passed away after only two hours. Her blog, included in my list, about her "Littlest" son has documented her pregnancy, the painful diagnosis and the profound grief at his loss.
I was fortunate enough to be in Utah to attend the funeral. This is what I mean about unforgettable images. I'll never forget the sight of their family: Father (carrying the casket), mother, and three children walking down the long pathway carved out of the snow to the grave site.

But before you start feeling down, I have to tell you that the funeral was one of the most touching, uplifting services I've been to. I am astounded at the strength Jen and her husband have shown. They are grateful, they have seen miracles and they are so bravely sharing them with others to lift and inspire despite their grief.
Jen had several of her colleagues from "NILMDTS" take pictures of her family and son Connor at his birth and they shared the photos in a slideshow during the funeral. It is completely amazing and heart wrenching at the same time.
I share this (with Jen's permission) because it is so inspiring and perhaps you know someone who can be lifted up by my friend's story. It has strengthened my testimony of so many principles. Mainly, that Heavenly Father pours out His mercy continually upon us and oh how He loves us!! We are not alone in our pain and suffering. He grieves with us and walks with us down the long path of sorrows we face in this life. He has a plan for us and has prepared the way for us to return. What I've seen of Jen's experiences has reconfirmed these truths and I will never forget this lesson.
6 comments:
I have found Jen's blog to be a deep personal source of hope and inspiration as a new first time mother. Every time I finish reading it, I am a more devoted mother and realize where my little one comes from and that he is on loan to me. I am glad to have witnessed true unconditional love through Jen and her family. The phrase of families can be together forever continually deepens the longer I live my life.
I'm glad you put that link there - I couldn't find it.
Your friend and her family are amazing. I cried as I watched their joyful expressions as they spent those precious moments with their son.
My friend is also a photographer and she pointed out similar sites to me of photographers taking those pictures of little babies who have passed away. I cry every single time.
Those babies' lives on earth may not have been long but they have immeasurable impact.
I've watched my friend's husband carry a casket that size, and you're right, it is an image you don't forget.
Post a Comment