Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bloom Where You're Planted

One of the things I've missed most about having a yard is my garden. Last summer in a massive effort of keeping up with the McGregors, our neighborhood went into a garden box frenzy. My nice neighbors let me in on the deal and 1) built the box for me 2) shared their dirt 3) gave me gardening advice over the fence and 4) even helped me shovel out the dirt, move the box and put the dirt back in the box when someone I live with didn't like the first location.
This summer, I've had to satisfy my green thumb with two measly planters and one tomato plant (I picked a late-blooming variety- bad idea- I'm still waiting for them to ripen.)
But on the bright side, I've always meant to post the cute pictures from last summer's garden and write about the valuable lessons I learned.

# 1 Three or four groups of lettuce is plenty (not ten).



















#2 It's really fun to pull full-size carrots out of the ground.


#3 Cherry and Grape tomatoes are better than candy.

#4 Playing in the dirt is better than a therapist (and probably cheaper too).
#5 Almost every gospel principle has a garden analogy (this photo demonstrates what happens when you choose the wrong side.)


And you thought you were going to read a post about my successful integration into my new surroundings! Hah!

3 comments:

AMY said...

This was such an inspirational blog about the similarities between gardening and making the best of life...... oh, except you left out how well you're adapting to Utah. :)

Jessica said...

We just had a Stk Conference talk about this. I wish you still used the old garden.

Penny said...

Your garden looks AWESOME in those pictures! It was awesome in real life too. Mine didn't do as well this year- actually, a lot of people are saying that. Most of my vegetables didn't work...
Except of course the crazy peas.

We miss your family and sharing garden abundances and backyard bbq's. Will you just move back already!