
Easton is a beautiful historic town on the Easton Shore of Maryland. When Shaun and I were living in Washington, D.C. for graduate school, we frequently came to visit my Grandpa. We always left feeling more relaxed than when we came. Now each time we come, we make sure we spend some time in downtown Easton. It is quaint and pretty and we always make sure to stop by Crackerjacks (a darling toy store!! Each time we go the kids get to pick out something special) and the old-fashioned ice cream parlor.
Some of us took a day trip to Ocean City, MD (about an hour's drive from Easton). We knew it was a tourist stop, but what we didn't know was that it was Delmarva Bike Week in Ocean City. There were hundreds of thousands of bikers filling up every parking space, restaurant and inch of boardwalk. Let's just say, we felt like we didn't fit and we didn't stay long.
Luckily, the beach was empty. So, we dipped our toes in the Atlantic Ocean. Joseph loved crawling around in the wet sand and before I could stop him, he grabbed handful of sand and shoved it in his mouth. His face was priceless. He tried spitting it out. And although he was not pleased with the taste or texture of sand, he did it again! Just to make sure.
Luckily, the beach was empty. So, we dipped our toes in the Atlantic Ocean. Joseph loved crawling around in the wet sand and before I could stop him, he grabbed handful of sand and shoved it in his mouth. His face was priceless. He tried spitting it out. And although he was not pleased with the taste or texture of sand, he did it again! Just to make sure.

Saturday, the kids and I said our goodbyes and a few of us drove down to D.C. to drop me off. We did the "D.C. drive-through" to show Shauna, Aaron and Adrienne the major monuments. We stopped in Clarendon- one of my all-time favorite places- to eat dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. After dinner we shopped at Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, Ann Taylor, The Container Store- to name a few. After more family goodbyes, my close friend, Merianne, met us in Clarendon.
Playing at Clemyjontri Park in McLean, VA
While in D.C., I had the wonderful chance to catch up with dear friends from our days in the Crystal City Ward. I love these people! (Kate, Alicia, Jenna & Herb, Jason, Mary, Yvette, Noelle, Trish, Mauri, Tisha, Jonathan...to name a few!) A few minutes on a Sunday was not enough! But, I'll take a few minutes than nothing at all!
While in D.C., I had the wonderful chance to catch up with dear friends from our days in the Crystal City Ward. I love these people! (Kate, Alicia, Jenna & Herb, Jason, Mary, Yvette, Noelle, Trish, Mauri, Tisha, Jonathan...to name a few!) A few minutes on a Sunday was not enough! But, I'll take a few minutes than nothing at all!
Sunday night, Merianne and I met up with our friends the Sampsons and the Bradshaws for ice cream in Shirlington. Kyle was the Bishop while we lived in Arlington and Sheldon, the counselor over Primary. Serving with them while I was in Primary was my first lesson that the bonds formed with people you serve with are some of the strongest of all. Their friendship will always be treasured.
Wednesday, Sept. 17- Merianne dropped us off at BWI with a tearful goodbye from Lincoln. We had a horrendous experience on the plane with a grumpy man whose seat I had taken so I could sit next to my four-year-old. The airline couldn't (but really wouldn't) assign us seats together; they told me to work it out with the other passenger. Just my luck that the "other passenger" turns out to be the Incredible Hulk with a bad knee. I'm just grateful that I was able to take the drill sergeant style tear down without getting angry and keeping the kids (one on my lap, one next to me) calm. Hooray, we made it to Salt Lake City! Shaun's parents greeted me and the kids at the airport. We stayed with them for a week so we could attend the mission farewell of my brother-in-law, Todd. Todd is currently in the MTC, but will soon leave for the Honduras, Comayaguela mission. He has been well-prepared by three older, return missionary brothers and by two goodly parents, Scott and Suzy. We had some wonderful spiritual experiences together as a family at his setting apart. We dropped him off the MTC on Wednesday, Sept. 24th. What an amazing experience! It was my first time seeing a missionary off at the MTC and that place alone is a powerful witness that this is the Lord's work! Todd gave us all goodbye letters and a quick hug and he practically skipped out the door. Kate and I were crying- ah to finally have someone like Kate who cries more than I do!
While in Salt Lake, we made time for our favorite UT pasttimes- the Carousel, Park City Outlets, Chick-fil-A, The Greek Broiler, and visiting with Shauna and Aaron (and their awesome apartment!) in Provo.
Shaun arrived in Salt Lake on Saturday in time for the BYU shut-out against the Cowboys. That night, Shannon graciously watched our kids so we could go see the movie, Mamma Mia. So fun!! Suzy had the soundtrack in her car, and all week I was driving around singing the songs. Emma sings a great version of "Dancing Queen!"
And if we hadn't already packed enough in to the last two weeks. Shaun whisked me away for a one-night retreat at the incredible Stein Erickson Lodge in Park City. The scenery was breath-taking and the weather perfectly warm and pleasant. We enjoyed walking Main Street and then a lovely dinner at the Italian restaurant, Cafe Terigo. It was wonderful to spend some time together after a long summer of hard work.
Dream, Dream, Dream
Thursday morning, we all flew back to Spokane. Shaun loaded us in the car and then got on another flight for Seattle (he came back the next evening). Back in the saddle again....
Thursday morning, we all flew back to Spokane. Shaun loaded us in the car and then got on another flight for Seattle (he came back the next evening). Back in the saddle again....

3 comments:
I've never been back east... I'd love to go in the fall, I heard it's beautiful.
Oh that is a fun post! I really love all the beach pictures!
Wow, you guys have been busy!! That is awesome that you and Shaun got to go on a trip together.
Post a Comment